Passion Project 1.1 - Research

I have decided to proceed with attempting to create a model jet engine. I don't think it will be too hard although that's to find out about. For the metal components, I plan on using parts of tin cans either as they are for the engine core housing or cut at angles then bent for the fan and compressors. As for the shaft and bearings, I will source them online. My hope is to finish this by term two and therefore have term three to experiment about how to improve it and how those improvements can be applied to real jet engines. I'm also hoping/wondering if we will have access to makerspace's metalworking shop. To clarify, I mean a model jet engine that actually produces thrust by combusting a fuel-air mixture; not just a pretty sight.

Problems: 

Airplane Comfort:
Exiting from middle seats
Isolating smell
Reclining seat annoyance
Turbulence

Airplane Turbofans:
Keeping debree from engine on ground
Bird Strikes
Noise reduction innovation

Comments

  1. Excellent project, Jason! The research of building an actual working model will give you an understanding of the process better than pretty much anything else that you could do. We certainly can arrange time for you to access Makerlabs when it is appropriate. I wonder if modifying tin cans is an efficient approach. Would designing and printing a 3D model be more appropriate to start and then we could take the same model and see if we can get it fabricated in metal once the bugs in the design are worked through?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts