Mousetrap Challenge - 2.3: Tuning Protocol Day 1

The tuning protocol today I think was a great opportunity for ideas and feedback to be shared. Lots of warm and cool feedback was given to the group that presented today. Notably however, nobody brought up any points regarding the presenting group's key question for the audience. In the reflect/response period I also feel the cool feedback was responded to defensively, justifying their decisions rather than considering its weaknesses in its current state. That said, some "I wonder" statements were rather negative, such as "I wonder if it will even work". Productivity from these discussions I do feel could be improved with the audience making sure they are improving not redesigning.

As for my group and our presentation next week I am very concerned. As mentioned in my previous post I do wish to change our plan which currently is based on Thomas the Tank Engine toys. After a brief discussion however, my group seems to be intent on using train tracks and a pre-made toy; justifying this by claiming they will modify the tracks and launching system. I don't buy it and it seems from Mr. Crompton's feedback he doesn't either. Whatever modifications they make will probably be minimal. Alas, all projects must go through Mr. Crompton before iteration two work begins so I guess we'll just see how it goes. 

Comments

  1. Good reflection, Jason. I like your observations about the cool feedback often being criticism couched in friendlier language. I hope that we will improve on this as we get more practice with the protocol. As for your design, I agree that you have reason to be concerned. The purpose of the design review process is that you all have thought through your design thoroughly before you begin working on your next prototype. It is not so much an issue of getting my approval as it is an opportunity to pause and think through the whole design so that we can recognize the easy issues before we devote time and materials to realizing the design.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts