Global Stewardship Conference- 1.0: Reflection



The consistent theme I've heard through the keynote speakers and careers day speaker was that you can do anything if you put your mind to it and that often opportunities and ideas appear spontaneously. The closing keynote speaker for example started his meat shop business simply through trial and error and speaking with residents of the downtown east side. The careers day speaker's message however was much more interesting to me. One of his key messages was essentially fake it till you make it. Many of his businesses began with someone approaching him about something he knew only the basics about, saying, "Yes absolutely I can do that", and then outsourcing the work.

All the speakers I've listened to over the past three days were all entrepreneurs and their speeches have certainly have made me more open to the idea of starting my own business. I've always feared starting my own business due to the high risk and turnover however these speakers have made me realize I don't need to rush into starting a business, I can wait till I see an good opportunity and then seize the opportunity. The randomness of how these entrepreneurs started these businesses such as due to a random conversation with an acquaintance has encouraged me to think about becoming an entrepreneur. For now I continue reading mailings I've subscribed to from various areas of my interest and perhaps one day I will see an opportunity.

Comments

  1. Nice reflection, Jason. I think that the key idea here is that you have to make sure that you are positioned to be in the path of an opportunity that interests you and be prepared to be able to take advantage of it when it does. Your subscriptions seem to certainly be one way of doing that.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts